Friday, January 8, 2010

Triathlon

I am really late blogging some of this stuff, but better late than never...right! After clinicals were over I had some time to enjoy my last few weeks at BYU-Idaho. The Saturday after Thanksgiving Break I was able to compete in a triathlon put on through the school. This was my first experience with a triathlon and it was hard! Since the weather was around 0 degrees the triathlon was held inside. My brother Preston, and friends DaNeil and Sam also competed with me. There were many heats and several teams we were competing with.A triathlon starts with swimming. As this was a short triathlon we only had to swim 400 yards-8 laps in the pool. It gets harder...



Next came the biking. I had no idea that the biking, due to the weather, was going to be indoors on a RECUMBANT bike! I have NEVER ridden a recumbent bike, let alone 6 miles on it! This absolutely killed my legs especially because I am not a huge biker in the first place. The "smile" on my face is completely fake, either that or I was thinking "I could be sleeping right now!"

Running was the easy part; back to my natural environment. We had 3 miles to run, also indoors, which translates to 33 laps! I actually gained some ground here.

Here is Preston running. He showed up in his cross-country uniform and was the only noncollege student who participated. He ended up getting second place for the men, so he did great.
Here is my friend Sam running. I think his smile is real.
Me and DaNeil after the race was over. Here is my disclaimer: my red face is becuase I was very warm and completely out of shape (I'll blame that on nursing school and not on my lack of motivation to exercise). How DaNeil managed to look so cute after swimming, biking, and running without a pause to do her hair, I have no idea!
Here we are at the end. The girl on the left is another participant who completed the whole thing. It was a fun experience and we didn't do too bad. DaNeil finished second overall for the women and I finished third. Sam finished third overall for the men and Preston as I mentioned was second. Next time (yes there will be a next time) I am actually going to train!

1 comment:

  1. OH my hero!!!!! An I love you! And by the way, I think you look stinking cute....red is a great color on you! No, in all honesty you are beautiful as ever!

    ReplyDelete