Friday, January 8, 2010

Graduation!!!

Graduation was December 18 and 19. I had such an awesome experience and made some lifelong memories. I graduated with a Bachelors degree in Exercise Physiology and an Associates degree in Nursing. Here is my graduation announcement.Here I am before my Pinning Ceremony with my Grandma Christensen and other family. I was asked to give the opening prayer and I was pretty nervous because we had a special guest.
Nurses Pinning is a traditional ceremony where the graduating RNs receive a pin to recognize their achievements. This is one of my instructors pinning me with the beautiful pin my parents surprised me with. It is also tradition to wear all white to pinning.
Our special guest turned out to be Elder Scott! He was the commencement speaker but also attended pinning along with President and Sister Clark, our BYU-Idaho president. They both spoke to us and it was an amazing experience. Elder Scott gave a lot of counsel and a very special blessing as we proceed with our careers. I think this picture is awesome, but nothing can quite capture the feeling I had as I shook his hand.
Surprise! The nursing instructors had the graduates sing the closing hymn. We could have used some practice!
After the closing prayer Elder Scott stood up once more and said to us, "I just wanted to tell you how much we love you. You will find success in your profession." He then smiled at us and walked out of the room. It was a very special moment and the Spirit was very strong. This is a picture of that last time he spoke to us.
Marybeth, Me, and Le after the ceremony.
Another surprise!!! My dear friend Jennifer made it to pinning! She had traveled from Arizona the day before for her sister's wedding and took the time to come! It meant so much to me that she could be there! I love you Jen!
Here I am with my Christensen grandparents. I owe so much to them for helping to get me to this point.
Here I am with my Waddoups grandparents. They drove clear from Pocatello to come and I was so happy to see them. I owe so much to them as well for helping to get me graduated.

Here are some girls who I graduated with: Jenny, Gina, me, and Marybeth.
Here are some of the alternate students; we clean up well. From left to right: Gina, Christy, Cameron, Eliot, Janea, Karissa, Marybeth, and I.
Marybeth and I. (Or is it me? My English is not what it should be for a college grad!)
Marybeth and I sang in the graduation choir for commencement on Saturday. We are up in the top right corner. We sang Let Zion in Her Beauty Rise, and The Hallelujah Chorus. That was a neat experience. Elder Scott was the main speaker and once again gave some wonderful suggestions and counsel.
This is a video of me receiving my diploma cover. My uncle, Garth Waddoups was able to give me my doploma cover which was really special.

Yet another picture of the inseparables. Literally.

Marybeth, me, and Le. Just in case you are wondering, the black robes indicate a bachelor degree, the blue robes, associate. The white cords indicate a nursing student.
This is my dad and I. My parents have been the most wonderful support through the whole college experience. They always encouraged me to stick with it, even when it seemed impossible. They encouraged me when I decided to double major, transfer from BYU, and pursue nursing. Now they are letting me live at home indefinetly as I look for a job. I love them and apprciate their support so much.
Me and my mom. Doesn't my mom look beautiful?!

Just a little bit of emotion. I actually didn't cry very much which surprised me, but I think the relief was too great!

The last amazing experience that I had this weekend was that I received an invitation to a special graduation luncheon with Elder Scott, President and Sister Clark, various Vice-Presidents, and several students. There were 28 of us in all. I was seated right next to Sister Clark, four places away from Elder Scott. We were able to ask Elder Scott questions and converse with him in such an intimate setting. I took the opportunity to ask him a question and I received yet another strong witness of the fact that the Apostles are inspired to recieve revelation in our behalf. It was a sweet, sweet experience and one I shall never forget. That was truly the highlight of graduation and it made all of my hard work very worth it.
I guess I would just like to thank everyone really quickly who has supported me. I have the best family, friends, and teachers in the world!

1 comment:

  1. An, I am so proud! What an amazing experience! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete